ALBANY, New York – August 1st marked the passing of one year that accessible, effective and efficient services to treat individuals and families struggling with a gambling problem have been open statewide!
To mark this historic anniversary the New York Council on Problem Gambling (NYCPG) and its 7 New York State Problem Gambling Resource Centers (PGRC) will be sharing the successes of this new system during the month of August. With a video montage and informative collateral, the Council will be widely sharing the gratitude of staff, clinicians and clients for these essential services.
Problem Gambling services were expanded greatly over the past few years with funds and support from The New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports (NYS OASAS). “This new approach to providing statewide services has shown us not only the tremendous need that exists for the services, but that with Care and Concern, No Barriers to Care and a motto of Here to Help we’ve been able to create healthy, lasting change for NY families that just wasn’t accessible to this extent in prior years.” said Michelle Hadden, Assistant Executive Director, Program.
With these critical funds, over the past two years the Council in conjunction with OASAS has been able to:
- train, vet and refer clients to 160 NYS Licensed Mental Health Professionals with specialized training in problem gambling
- service 750 individuals and families in need of support for a gambling related problem
- move 650 families towards wellness and recovery
- provide services in multiple languages, telemedicine options, and evening family education and support sessions
- coordinate with the legal system to reduce recidivism through treatment of the underlying problem
- raise awareness in communities and organizations at the local and state level
- support gaming facilities in providing self-excluded individuals with information on problem gambling and available local resources
The new video and additional materials share more about the positive outcomes of services like these that can’t always be measured in numbers. We welcome additional feedback from any individuals, families and partners who’ve benefited from the services and relationships we have to offer. The gratitude video and success materials can be found at NYProblemGambling.org/Resources/Downloadable-Resources/. For further information on the PGRC system and help in your area visit NYProblemGamblingHELP.org.