The Environmental Strategies Committee addresses alcohol policy, and evidenced based strategies to reduce intoxication and the availability of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, prescription drugs, and illegal drugs. The committee also works to change social norms around attitudes and behavior of alcohol and drug use.
Several initiatives have successfully been implemented, including Allegany County Pill Drops, the Underage Drinking Deterrence Initiative (UDDI), Meth Busters campaign, TIPS Training (responsible beverage service) and increasing media awareness preventing drunk and drugged driving. The Committee meets quarterly at the Sheriff’s Office and as needed with special projects. The Environmental Strategies Committee membership includes:
- Ann Weaver, LMSW, Community Educator, Allegany Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse (ACASA)
- Dustin Burch, Chief, Cuba Police Department
- Eugene Staniszewski, Captain, Amity Troop A, New York State Police
- Jon Chaffee, Coalition Coordinator
- Justin Thaine, Forest Ranger, NYS Dept of Environmental Conservation
- Brian Perkins, Executive Director of STOP DWI
- Sheriff Rick Whitney, Allegany County Sheriff’s Office
- Steve McPherson, Officer in Charge, Bolivar Police Department
- Tim O’Grady, Chief, Wellsville Police Department
- Undersheriff Kevin Monroe, Allegany County Sheriff’s Office
- William Penman, Executive Director, Allegany Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse (ACASA)
To keep up with everything that the Environmental Strategies group is doing in our communities follow us on Facebook at PPAC Environmental Strategies.